|Please submit your question for SABOR:|
What factors should I consider if I am thinking about buying a home?
Brought to you by SABOR.com
1. Don’t Do It Alone
Finding a professional who understands your needs and serves your best interest is a vital component of the home buying process. A San Antonio REALTOR® can guide you through every stage of this major decision. Aside from helping to alleviate the administrative responsibilities of buying a home, a REALTOR® can help you determine how much home you can afford. You can even get pointers on choosing a mortgage lender and finding a loan product that works best for you. A REALTOR’S® expertise is one you cannot find anywhere else. REALTORS® subscribe to a strict Code of Ethics that ensures their position as knowledgeable and trustworthy professionals. For a life decision as major as becoming a homeowner, you’ll want to rely on a REALTOR®.
2. Determine How Much House You Can Afford
Some lenders may be willing to offer you more than you ever imagined, but remember to be a responsible borrower. If you borrow more than you can truly afford, the means to cover your other living expenses may suffer. When you are looking at homes to buy, don’t tempt yourself with homes that are likely to stretch your budget too thin. Also remember that just because you are approved for a particular loan amount, you don’t have to choose a home that will cost the entire amount.
3. Decide What You Want
Narrow your home search by deciding which home features and amenities are important to you. Weigh your needs, budget, and personal tastes while keeping your home’s purchase and resale value in mind. Here some things to consider:
- The Neighborhood: A REALTOR® can help you evaluate a neighborhood. You can identify local school districts, occupancy rate, and crime rate. Mapping sites can help you identify the proximity of nearby parks, schools, retail outlets, restaurants, and places of employment.
- Type of Home: Depending on your needs and budget, you might consider purchasing a single family or multi-family home, a condominium or a co-op. Talk to your San Antonio REALTOR® about the advantages of each to determine which one is right for you.
- Size and Configuration: Consider a home’s size and layout. Is it right for you and your family? Is the garage the right size for your cars? If the house fits your life perfectly today, can it be adapted when you life changes in the future?
- Resale Value: Even if you plan to be in the home for a while, it will be for sale again someday. Talk to your San Antonio REALTOR® about what factors contribute to a home’s resale value.
Ready to get started on your path to homeownership? Visit SABOR.com to find a REALTOR® and to find a home. SABOR.com is your go-to source to find real-time, up-to-the-minute listings for every price point and every zip code, complete with photos and community details.
This real estate tip is brought to you by SABOR.com – the voice for real estate in San Antonio. Welcome home.